A Cruise to Salt
We are going on a short cruise today and will be exploring Salt on the Trent and Mersey canal. A lovely couple we met at Tixall Wide recommended a pub there called The HollyBush Inn.
First lock of the day is Hoo Mill Lock – great name.
It’s so hot today – potentially one of the hottest days in the UK on record for July. Poor little Tilly – she keeps going to lie In the boat where it’s a little cooler.
The only other lock today is Weston Lock.
The village of Weston Upon Trent is apparently a very pretty little place so next time we pass we will have a look round.
We moored just after bridge 82 where there is Armco before and after the bridge. It’s a lovely spot, although it is right next to the train line (the trains did stop at 11pm though). This bridge is a late 18th century road bridge over the Trent and Mersey and is a Grade II listed structure.
Salt is a very pretty little village in Stafford. The Hollybush Inn is a beautiful historic thatched building and is generally recognised as being the second licensed pub in the country (Pub licensing began in the reign of Charles II (1660-1685)).
If you moor, as we did, at bridge 82, and turn left when you climb the steps to the bridge and it’s about a 10-15 minute walk.
The food is delicious and we highly recommend it. We had Camembert to share as a starter and then we both had fish, chips and mushy peas.
A wander around the village of Salt
The following day we decided to go for a stroll around the village. Salt is a very pretty little village lying less than a mile to the north of Hopton Heath, which was a battlefield in the English Civil War. In 1643, in the Battle of Hopton Heath, the parliamentarians left the battlefield to the royalists, slipping away under the cover of night. However, the Royalists had not destroyed the parliamentarians, and they also lost their commander, the Earl of Northampton. The outcome of the Battle of Hopton Heath was therefore indecisive.
There are lots of gorgeous cottages, a village hall and lovely church.
The church of St James the Great has an open bell turret on the east end of the church and was built on land donated by the Earl of Shrewsbury and largely paid for by him.
I loved this old telephone box, which is now filled with books.
We have really enjoyed our stay here. It is well worth a stop at Bridge 82 on the Trent and Mersey to have a stroll around the village of Salt.